Why are wait events not reported even though it reads/writes atimeline history file? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiro Ikeda
Subject Why are wait events not reported even though it reads/writes atimeline history file?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

There are two unexpected codes for me about wait events for timeline
history file.
Please let me know your thoughts whether if we need to change.

1. readTimeLineHistory() function in timeline.c

The readTimeLineHistory() reads a timeline history file,
but it doesn't report “WAIT_EVENT_TIMELINE_HISTORY_READ".

In my understanding, sscanf() is blocking read.
So, it's important to report a wait event.

2. writeTimeLineHistory() function in timeline.c

The writeTimeLineHistory() function may write a timeline history file
twice,
but it reports “WAIT_EVENT_TIMELINE_HISTORY_WRITE" only once.

It makes sense to report a wait event twice, because both of them use
write().

I attached a patch to mention the code line number.

I checked the commit log which "WAIT_EVENT_TIMELINE_HISTORY_READ" and
"WAIT_EVENT_TIMELINE_HISTORY_WRITE" are committed and the discussion
about it.
But I can't find the reason.

Please give me your comments.
If we need to change, I can make a patch to fix them.

By the way, which is correct "timeline's history file" or "timeline
history file"?
The timeline.c has both. In my understanding, the latter is correct. If
so, I will modify together.

Regards,

--
Masahiro Ikeda