Re: [PL/pgSQL] Commit every N rows. Is it possible ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeremiasz Miedzinski
Subject Re: [PL/pgSQL] Commit every N rows. Is it possible ?
Date
List pgsql-general

2006/11/9, Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com>:

It's not clear to me why your function does what it does anyway. I can't
see why you wouldn't just do this as standard queries.

As it was mentioned on http://orafaq.com/faqplsql.htm

Contrary to popular believe, one should COMMIT less frequently within a PL/SQL loop to prevent ORA-1555 (Snapshot too old) errors. The higher the frequency of commit, the sooner the extents in the rollback segments will be cleared for new transactions, causing ORA-1555 errors.

So, I understand that if function/procedure in postgreSQL is treated as one transaction I can for example execute 15000 delete queries and nothing similar to ORA-1555 shouldn't happen.

Kind Regards.

--
-- audi vide sile --