Re: Clusters and pgsql - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From dalgoda@ix.netcom.com (Mike Castle)
Subject Re: Clusters and pgsql
Date
List pgsql-novice
In article <20030823095009.S26407-100000@megazone.bigpanda.com>,
Stephan Szabo  <sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Aarni [iso-8859-1] Ruuhim�ki wrote:
>
>> He ? And excuse me, but what are you on about, Ron ?
>
>Many machines may access the server through the communications protocol,
>but only one should be directly accessing the on-disk data files.

I don't know about Oscar, but with FreeMosix, the cluster appears to the
application to be more or less like one multi-cpu machine.  The kernel
patches hide everything from the application.

However, last I heard, FreeMosix won't do SysV shared memory, which Postgres
requires.

Also, FreeMosix works better on CPU intensive applications; I'd think the
disk usage Postgres requires would negate any speed up you'd get by
migrating the process to a different machine.

mrc
--
     Mike Castle      dalgoda@ix.netcom.com      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/