Re: preserving data after updates - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Patnude
Subject Re: preserving data after updates
Date
Re: preserving data after updates  (Scott Frankel <leknarf@pacbell.net>)
List pgsql-general
I use a modified form of option 3 with an ON UPDATE RULE.... the update rule
copies the row to an inherited table...

CREATE TABLE dm_user (

       id SERIAL NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,

       lu_user_type INTEGER NOT NULL REFERENCES lu_user_type(id),
       dm_user_address INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
       dm_user_email INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,

       f_name VARCHAR(50) NOT NULL,
       m_name VARCHAR(50) NOT NULL,
       l_name VARCHAR(50) NOT NULL,

       uname VARCHAR(20) NOT NULL,
       upwd VARCHAR(20) NOT NULL,
       pwd_change_reqd BOOLEAN DEFAULT FALSE,
       login_allowed BOOLEAN DEFAULT TRUE,
       lost_passwd BOOLEAN DEFAULT FALSE,

       create_dt TIMESTAMP NOT NULL DEFAULT NOW(),
       change_dt TIMESTAMP NOT NULL DEFAULT NOW(),
       change_id INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
       active_flag BOOLEAN NOT NULL DEFAULT TRUE

) WITH OIDS;

CREATE TABLE dm_user_history (

       history_id SERIAL NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
       hist_create_dt TIMESTAMP NOT NULL DEFAULT NOW()

) INHERITS (dm_user);

CREATE RULE dm_user_upd_history AS ON UPDATE TO dm_user DO INSERT INTO
dm_user_history SELECT * FROM dm_user WHERE id = old.id;

CREATE RULE dm_user_nodelete AS ON DELETE TO dm_user DO INSTEAD UPDATE
dm_user SET active_flag = FALSE WHERE id = old.id;