Re: Use bytearray for blobs or not? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Sargent
Subject Re: Use bytearray for blobs or not?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 1/4/19 4:48 AM, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> On 4/1/19 1:41 μ.μ., Thomas Güttler wrote:
>> Some months ago I wrote a little application with Python+Django which
>> stores
>> blob data in bytearrays.
>>
>> It works.
>>
>> In the future there will be a lot more traffic, and I am unsure
>> if this is really a good solution. I know this is more FUD than
>> concrete PG issue.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> Performance (at least for JDBC) is known to be better with blobs.

Do you have any details on which part is slower with bytea? Original
insert, read back to client, general (p)sql access.  I'm moving towards
bytea but still have time to change my mind if I cannot afford the
performance hit.

> However, with bytea life is just easier for many reasons (backups,
> logical replication, other types of replication, sys management, etc).
Yes, and in my case I even get a cheap compression from the original file.