lifetime of temp schema versus compiled image of plpgsql proc - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Dennis
Subject lifetime of temp schema versus compiled image of plpgsql proc
Date
Re: lifetime of temp schema versus compiled image of plpgsql proc  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-sql
Hi,

this is pg 7.4.1

I am opening a connection to postgres
starting a transaction
executing a plpgsql function that creates temp tables
executing a plpgsql function that populates the temp tables
querying the temp table
closing the transaction

then on the same connection, I open a transaction, execute a plpgsql
function that populates the temp tables and the function bombs with this
error message:

ERROR: schema "pg_temp_8" does not exist

I am not specifying "on commit" when creating the temp tables. Are temp
tables created in a transaction discarded when the transaction ends?

I'm not explicitly referencing pg_temp_8 in my stored function.

Can someone explain what is going on? Have I given enough information?

dennis
pg-user at calico dash consulting dot com