Re: Swing and JDBC - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Sam Varshavchik
Subject Re: Swing and JDBC
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Dennis R. Gesker writes:

> Now I'm considering reworking our database applications (currently in
> MS-Access) using Java but I'm looking for a small application that uses
> Swing & JDBC that can give me an idea of the best practices using these 2
> different parts of the API together. I of course intend to use Postgres
> for the back end but I think that the Java would be the way to go for the
> front end.

There's nothing particular about the combination of Swing and JDBC that
introduces a unique set of "best practices" that do not already apply to
either Swing, or JDBC; separately or in any combination with other APIs.

I do happen to have a fairly large (but feature-incomplete) Swing
application that uses postgresql-jdbc; but it's doubtful that anyone would
be able to identify some particular "best practice", of any kind, looking at
the source.  In fact, the Swing and JDBC components are completely and
totally separate -- one of the options is to run the Swing UI component as a
browser applet, which makes RMI calls to the server where the JDBC component
handles the RMI calls.  This would probably be the only kind of a "best
practice", if there is one at all -- to keep the two components completely
separated from each other, and use an intermediate API to communicate back
and forth.

--
Sam