Re: Autovacuum help.. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Francisco Reyes
Subject Re: Autovacuum help..
Date
List pgsql-general
Martijn van Oosterhout writes:

>> My question is, is autovacuum expected to work in situations like this where I
>> have a long lived connection to the database ? After I shutdown my application,

I am having a simmilar situation, but I am just starting to debug it.

Using 8.1.4
Have autovacuum running and it shows on the logs as running.
Ever couple of days in the last week when I tried to run vacuum analyze
postgresql complained that I needed to increase my fsm_pages.

I am going to start scheduling vacuum analyze in crontab.. but if autovacuum
is running shouldn't I not need to be running vacuum analyze?. and more
importantly shouldn't I not be running out of fsm_pages?

The first time I ran out.. I bumped it 100,000 over what it said it needed.
The manual vacuum analyze ran fine after that. The same has happened 3 times
so far.. 1 day apart (ie I have manually checked running vacuum analyze with
1 day difference) and I have increased it higher and higher. So if I was off
by 20K pages.. I increased to 100K.. then 200K over.. then 500K over..

Also, at what level does autovacuum shows more info? Going over the
archives.. I got the impression that it was debug2 so trying that. Does it
only show more info when it does work?