Re: Bug or stupidity - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Hallgren
Subject Re: Bug or stupidity
Date
List pgsql-general
Stephan,

 > In general, when we add a backwards compatibility option, we give
 > a couple of versions before the default is changed.

Perhaps the 8.0 would be a perfect time since it's a change of the major
number.

 > In addition, until we have a form of delete which allows a "from"
 > list, there are some queries which are really more naturally written
 > in a form similar to add_missing_from
 > (although "from" lists would be better).

Still, if the query is incorrect, I want to know about it. I don't ever
want an incorrect behavior as a result of some behind the scenes magic.
For me, there's no exception to that rule and my guess is that very few
people would disagree if they think about it more in depth. This option
helps no one. It only adds to the confusion.

 > I think that many people do, even if they don't realize it.

If people write incorrect SQL because "this looks like the natural way
of doing it", don't you think it's fair if they find out about the error
ASAP? Catching errors early in the development process is generally
considered a good thing. When this option is enabled, errors might be
hidden (you get the notification that not everyone will pay attention
to, or even see). I consider that a very *bad* thing.

It's perhaps OK that the option exists so that old legacy system can
keep on running, but to have it enabled by default is not good at all.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren