Re: BUG #3427: Autovacuum crashed server - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Rainer Bauer
Subject Re: BUG #3427: Autovacuum crashed server
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hello Alvaro,

>> AH> Is there any way to figure out what "exit code -1073741819" means?
>>
>> Yes, -1073741819 is 0xc0000005 aka "Access Violation".
>
>Oh, OK.  How can this happen?  I don't know much about Windows.

Like Magnus already wrote: accessing memory outside your adress space gives
you an Access Violation on Windows. However, most of the time this means a
NULL pointer was dereferenced.

>Maybe you have some antivirus is checking the file at the same time Autovac is checking it?

Yes this could be possible. The postgres server is running on my developer
machine together with an Antivirus software. But like I said this machine was
running now since May without any problems (i.e. Postgres never crashed).

>Also, it would be good to have a more complete report of what happenned.
>Can you reproduce this problem?

No. The server and the 2 programs accessing the server were happily running
for several weeks without any problem.

>If so, please provide the whole ERROR report (change log_min_messages I guess).
>Did it fail trying to open a file?

What I can do is adjust log_min_messages and report back if Autovacuum should
ever crash again. What value do you want it to be?
And should I also adjust log_min_error_statement or any other setting (I have
enough space left on the log partition, so there shouldn't be a problem).

Rainer