beta1 & beta2 & Windows & heavy load - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Schuchardt
Subject beta1 & beta2 & Windows & heavy load
Date
Re: beta1 & beta2 & Windows & heavy load  (Gavin Sherry <swm@linuxworld.com.au>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi list,

is it is known that postgres 8.0 (beta1 and beta2 both same behavoir)
will eat tons of memory on Windows under heavy load?

Scenario:

I have a big delete with about 56000 rows. (DELETE FROM mytable;)
There are triggers (after delete) updating 2 or 3 other tables. (there
are triggers on this tables too).

first everything seems ok but after a short tine postgres starts eating
memory. On my mashine one postgres.exe sometimes eates 300MB or more.

prob one : everything becomes slow because windows is swapping...
main problem : if there is to less virutal memory postgres will abort
because of to less memory. For a 56000 row delete you need > 500MB of
virtual ram or postgres aborts.

I noticed the same behavoir when do lets say 75000 rows in a table
(triggers updating other tables also).

In both situations without transactions.

Is this is a bug?

Daniel.