Re: Add trim_trailing_whitespace to editorconfig file - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Add trim_trailing_whitespace to editorconfig file
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 07.08.24 22:42, Jelte Fennema-Nio wrote:
> I also added a .gitattributes rule for .py files, and changed the
> default tab_width to unset. Because I realized the resulting
> .editorconfig was using tab_width 8 for python files when editing
> src/tools/generate_editorconfig.py

This looks kind of weird:

-*.sgml        whitespace=space-before-tab,trailing-space,tab-in-indent
-*.x[ms]l    whitespace=space-before-tab,trailing-space,tab-in-indent
+*.py        whitespace=space-before-tab,trailing-space,tab-in-indent,tabwidth=4
+*.sgml        whitespace=space-before-tab,trailing-space,tab-in-indent,tabwidth=1
+*.xml        whitespace=space-before-tab,trailing-space,tab-in-indent,tabwidth=1
+*.xsl        whitespace=space-before-tab,trailing-space,tab-in-indent,tabwidth=2

Why add tabwidth settings to files that are not supposed to contain tabs?