Re: Truncate Permission - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ewald Geschwinde
Subject Re: Truncate Permission
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Yes, there is a use-case for it.  If you don't have triggers or
transactional concerns on the table and you want users to be able to
truncate tables while not allowing them to do things like change the
table structure.  I proposed a patch a while ago to implement a seperate
permission for truncate but it was turned down because of concern over
using the few remaining bits in the ACL structure.

I second this proposal
My problem is that some users don't have access to change the structure but they wanted to delete all data from the table
they try truncate - does not work because not the owner
so they make a delete from a really big table

So I would like to see a truncate permission - makes some things easier in my opinion
--
Ewald Geschwinde
http://www.postgresql.at