Re: Wrong column names in ResultSetMetaData - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Mike Martin
Subject Re: Wrong column names in ResultSetMetaData
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Kris Jurka wrote:
> All the documentation you've pointed to is circumstancial at best.

Come now, I think it's a little better than that.  I guess I
don't see as much ambiguity in "... the SQL AS clause can be
used to provide names for computed columns" as you do.

> You will need to find clear
> documentation that this is incorrect or rally some other users to your
> position.

Then I call on all users using any of the following DBMS's
to weigh in on this issue:

    SELECT PRICE AS ORIG_PRICE, PRICE + 1.00 AS PRICE FROM T

                    getColumnName(1)        getColumnName(2)
DB/driver                       getColumnLabel(1)       getColumnLabel(2)

Cloudscape          ORIG_PRICE  ORIG_PRICE  PRICE       PRICE
Firebird            ORIG_PRICE  ORIG_PRICE  PRICE       PRICE
SQL Server (JTDS)   ORIG_PRICE  ORIG_PRICE  PRICE       PRICE
SQL Server (MS)     ORIG_PRICE  ORIG_PRICE  PRICE       PRICE
MySQL Connector/J   ORIG_PRICE  ORIG_PRICE  PRICE       PRICE
Oracle thin         ORIG_PRICE  ORIG_PRICE  PRICE       PRICE
PostgreSQL 7.4      orig_price  orig_price  price       price
PostgreSQL 7.5      price       orig_price  price       ""

Those are the drivers I have handy at the moment.  I have a couple
more I can try tomorrow.  I invite others to post their results.

Of course, this is probably the wrong NG for a cross-DB call to
arms.  :)  But I should think that sample is large enough to cause
worry about how much code is going to be broken.

Mike