Re: Trouble Upgrading Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Daniel Verite
Subject Re: Trouble Upgrading Postgres
Date
Re: Trouble Upgrading Postgres
List pgsql-general
    Charles Martin wrote:

>  but the second one returned this:
>
> 0 "623140"
> 1 "53"
> 2 "12"
> 3 "10"
> 4 "1"
> 5 "1"
> 7 "1"
> [null] "162"
>
> Not quite sure what that means, but if there is just a small number of
> overly-large records, I might be able to delete them. If I can find them.

The query was:

  SELECT octet_length(docfilecontents)/(1024*1024*100),
           count(*)
   FROM docfile
   GROUP BY octet_length(docfilecontents)/(1024*1024*100);

The results above show that there is one document weighing over 700 MB
(the first column being the multiple of 100MB), one between 500 and
600 MB, one between 400 MB and 500 MB, 10 between 300 and 400 MB, and
so on.

The hex expansion performed by COPY must allocate twice that size,
plus the rest of the row, and if that resulting size is above 1GB, it
will error out with the message you mentioned upthread:
ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size <some value over 1 billion>.
So there's no way it can deal with the contents over 500MB, and the
ones just under that limit may also be problematic.

A quick and dirty way of getting rid of these contents would be to
nullify them. For instance, nullify anything over 400MB:

UPDATE docfile SET docfilecontents=NULL
  WHERE octet_length(docfilecontents) > 1024*1024*400;

Or a cleaner solution would be to delete them with the application if
that's possible. You may turn the above query into a SELECT that
retrieve the fields of interest (avoid SELECT * because of the huge
column).

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité