Re: Table modifications with dependent views - best practices? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas F.O'Connell
Subject Re: Table modifications with dependent views - best practices?
Date
List pgsql-general
So I have a scenario in which account creation at the application layer
generates a set of tables and indexes. The tables created have foreign
keys to tables in use (and frequently read from and written to) by the
rest of the application. Occasionally I was getting deadlocks, and this
definitely explains why, if creating foreign keys requires an
AccessExclusiveLock on the table to which the key refers.

Ideally, this DDL work should occur in a transaction to avoid partial
creation of the relevant objects, but it seems like it will always run
the risk of generating deadlocks in a production environment. Blocking
is less of an issue because the transaction shouldn't ever take
terribly long, but deadlocks always strike me as a red flag, especially
in a production application environment.

Is there a best practice or suitable workaround for this sort of
scenario?

-tfo

--
Thomas F. O'Connell