Re: cross databases? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Mike Rylander
Subject Re: cross databases?
Date
List pgsql-admin
<posted & mailed>

Jodi Kanter wrote:

> I am working with someone who uses MySQL and says that he has two
> separate databases in which he can query across. I am curious if that is
> something that can be done in postgres?

Postgresql implements SQL standard SCHEMAs which, depending on your exact
needs, may serve the same purpose.  The other option is the
'contrib/dblink' module.

> Any comments on whether or not that is a good thing?

In my opinion, SCHEMAs are a beter way than multiple databases to deal with
multiple logical datasets that you want to query across.

--miker