Re: scheduler in core - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lucas
Subject Re: scheduler in core
Date
List pgsql-hackers
2010/2/20 Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>

> We're not going to change that because some companies have
> insane corporate policies.

I agree, Andrew...
This is an outside benefit...
not a reason or justification...

I believe that a general purpose scheduler is similar to the autovacuum... it is not really needed, we can always
configurean external scheduler. But I liked a LOT...

For me is not a question of "must be in core" is a question of cost/benefit. I do not see much cost, but a lot of
benefits:

Like Joshua said "abstract away from external solutions and operating system dependencies".
Like Dimitri said "Main advantage over cron or another scheduler being that it'd be part of my transactional backups".
To me is the reliability of having the partition creation/removal being part of the database, be able of make
consolidations,cleanups and periodic consistency checks and diagnostics without external dependencies.

I wonder if the scheduler already existed before the implementation of the autovacuum, its implementation would not be
afunction executed by the in-core scheduler?

- -
Lucas