Re: scheduler in core - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lucas
Subject Re: scheduler in core
Date
Re: scheduler in core
Re: scheduler in core
List pgsql-hackers
Tom,

I believe that "in core" may be "installed by default" in case of the pgAgent or similar solution...

Many big companies does not allow the developers to configure and install components.... we need to request everthing in 10 copies of forms...

By making it "in core" or "installed by default" means that we have more chance that the db scheduler would be widely accepted...

And more important... we would not have to check its availability on the setup and provide an alternate scheduler if the database scheduler is off...

I believe that a database scheduler would allow me to drop 20 thousand lines of java code in my server...

2010/2/20 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine@hi-media.com> writes:
> Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
>> Why not just use pgAgent? It's far more flexible than the design
>> you've suggested, and already exists.

> What would it take to have it included in core,

I don't think this really makes sense.  There's basically no argument
for having it in core other than "I'm too lazy to install a separate
package".  Unlike the case for autovacuum, there isn't anything an
in-core implementation could do that an external one doesn't do as well
or better.  So I'm not eager to take on additional maintenance burden
for such a thing.