Re: pgadmin III crashes when inserting a row (1.6.2 and 1.6.3) - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Jeanie Schwenk
Subject Re: pgadmin III crashes when inserting a row (1.6.2 and 1.6.3)
Date
List pgadmin-support
Thank you for your post Dave.  To answer your questions, the encoding is SQL_ASCII. Here are the database and table definitions as well as the table's contents:

CREATE DATABASE "Scrip"
  WITH OWNER = postgres
       ENCODING = 'SQL_ASCII'
       TABLESPACE = pg_default;

CREATE TABLE "organization"
(
  "name" character varying(50) NOT NULL,
  "campus" character varying(50) NOT NULL,
  CONSTRAINT "organization_pkey" PRIMARY KEY ("name", "campus")

The table contents are ascii (as seen from the pgadmin III Edit Data):

name                                           campus
Heritage Christian School            Grammar
Heritage Christian School            Logic and Rhetoric
test                                               test2

HOWEVER, when I use the option to type in a query (pgAdmin III Query), I can see that it is pointing to the correct database (Scrip on localhost:5432) but "select * from organization" returns the following error:

ERROR: relation "organization" does not exist
SQL state: 42P01

So I have to conclude that it cannot see the table (perhaps not even the database).  When I add a row through the Edit Data window, I type text in the first column and then text in the second column.  When I hit return, it thinks for a little bit and then crashes.   Can you tell me why the select query failed and yet I was able to add fourth row through the Edit Data window?

Regards,

Jeanie

On 3/30/07, Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org> wrote:
jeanie.schwenk@gmail.com wrote:
> Here's what I have done:
>
> Installed postgresql 8.2 on XP Home (SP2)
> Created a database
> Created a table
> Added two columns to the table (combined to make the key)
>
> I then tried to add one row of data.  I entered the text into both
> columns.  When I hit return, it crashed.  The data is there when I
> bring it up again but having in crash every time I enter a single row
> is rather unpleasant and it essentially makes the tool unusable for
> what I need to do to initially setup the database.
>
> I then installed pgadmin 1.6.3 in hopes that would improve matters.
> Nope, same problem.

I cannot reproduce this in a simple test - what does your table
definition look like exactly, and what values are you entering? Also,
what encoding is your database in?

>>From reading the posts, this has occurred in past releases as well.
> Does anyone have a workaround yet?

That was in the 1.5 development code in which there were some threading
issues which have long since been sorted.

Regards, Dave