Re: Partitioned tables as a poor mans columnar index? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Hunsberger
Subject Re: Partitioned tables as a poor mans columnar index?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 3:31 PM, marcin mank <marcin.mank@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 9:19 PM, Peter Hunsberger
> <peter.hunsberger@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The basic problem I have is that I have some tables that are
>> potentially very long (100,000's to millions of rows) and very skinny,
>
>> and I end up with maybe a total of 12 bits of data in each row.
>
> Are You aware that there are some 20-ish bytes of metadata for each
> row? saving 4 bytes buys You nothing. Give it up.

No, the metadata is a whole 'nother problem.  I'm just talking about
fk relationships here.  This isn't an isolated issue within this
particular domain.  If you where to use a conventional table design,
then once the rest of the associated tables get built along with their
associated indexes you'd be looking at in the order of a terabyte for
this half of the DB...

--
Peter Hunsberger