Re: Viable alternatives to SQL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Hunsberger
Subject Re: Viable alternatives to SQL?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 8:43 AM, Kelly Jones<kelly.terry.jones@gmail.com> wrote:
> Many sites let you search databases of information, but the search
> queries are very limited.
>
> I'm creating a site that'll allow arbitrary SQL queries to my data (I
> realize I'll need to handle injection attacks).
>
> Are there other viable ways to query data? I read a little on
> "Business System 12" (BS12), Tutorial D, and even something called
> T-SQL (I think), but they all seem theoretical and not fully
> implemented.
>
> I want a query language that non-techies can use easily, but also
> supports arbitrarily complex queries. Does such a language exist?

Yeah, it's called SQL....  Seriously, you're two requirements are
rather contradictory.   We have many end users who use SQL, learning
just enough to get the job done when we have this kind of problem.

Having said that, is there a reason why you are not looking at end
user query interfaces such as Hyperion or Cognos?  You might also look
at natural language or controlled vocabulary interfaces; if the
queries are domain specific (eg. medical) then you can often pick off
some low hanging fruit fairly quickly.  If the problem domain is non
specific then I don't think you'll be able to meet these requirements
without throwing a lot of money at the problem (The Cyc guys come to
mind ;-)...

--
Peter Hunsberger