Re: issues when installing postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: issues when installing postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/08/2018 05:54 PM, Antonio Silva wrote:
> Hello!

Comments inline.

> I bought a new computer and I installed Ubuntu 18.04 and after PostgreSQL.
> sudo apt install postgresql postgresql-contrib pgadmin3

Are you using the Ubuntu or Postgres repos?

> Nevertheless I had some issues with configuration files and decided to
> uninstall it completely
> sudo apt purge postgresql postgresql-contrib pgadmin3
>
> When I installed it again I notice that postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf
> were the oldies files. Then I uninstall Postgres once more and removed the
> directory /etc/postgresql/
>
> After a new install I noticed that the directory /etc/postgresql/ was
> completely empty - it was not created again. There are no more
> postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf files. I could find only
> postgresql.conf.sample and pg_hba.conf.sample at /usr/share/postgresql/10
>
> /etc/init.d/postgresql status says that Postgres is running fine

Can you connect to Postgres using psql?

> ● postgresql.service - PostgreSQL RDBMS
> Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/postgresql.service; enabled; vendor
> preset: enabled)
> Active: active (exited) since Tue 2018-05-08 10:43:23 -03; 1h 55min ago
> Process: 6451 ExecStart=/bin/true (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
> Main PID: 6451 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

To be running the server would need its conf files somewhere.

> What should I have to do to heve the folder /etc/postgresql/10/ ... and all
> its files agais?

If you are going to use the packages then yes.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com