Re: [DOCS] Problem about connect Postgre using ADO.NET - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Neil Anderson
Subject Re: [DOCS] Problem about connect Postgre using ADO.NET
Date
List pgsql-docs
On 2017-05-23 3:17 AM, NGUYEN TRONG LANH wrote:
> Hello pgsql support team!
>
> At first, forgive me if the content of the email is not your
> responsibility. I have problem when I try connect Postgre using ADO.NET,
> I not see PostgreSQL in Data Source list.
>
> I have done to install Npgsql package, install Npgsql PostgreSQL
> extension but the problem is not solve.

Hi, I use Npgsql in my project. I'm not sure what you mean by 'I do not
see PostgreSQL in Data Source list', Npgsql does not discover the server
for you, you must provide it with a connection string, create a
connection and execute commands. Here is a code example:

var connString =
"Host=localhost;Username=postgres;Password=passwrd;Database=postgres";

using (var conn = new NpgsqlConnection(connString))
{
     conn.Open();

     // Insert some data
     using (var cmd = new NpgsqlCommand())
     {
         cmd.Connection = conn;
         cmd.CommandText = "INSERT INTO data (some_field) VALUES (@p)";
         cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("p", "Hello world");
         cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();
     }

     // Retrieve all rows
     using (var cmd = new NpgsqlCommand("SELECT some_field FROM data",
conn))
     using (var reader = cmd.ExecuteReader())
         while (reader.Read())
             Console.WriteLine(reader.GetString(0));
}

For future reference Npgsql have wonderful documentation here
http://www.npgsql.org/index.html, and they prefer questions be posted to
Stack Overflow.

--
Neil Anderson