Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Achilleas Mantzios
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!
Date
List pgsql-general
On 18/10/2017 17:34, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:
On 10/18/2017 6:24 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 10/17/2017 11:17 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
Where can I look to see (roughly) how much more RAM/CPU/disk needed when
moving from 8.4 and 9.2?
It's entirely possible you'll need *less*, as you'll be absorbing the
benefit of several years' worth of performance improvements.  But this
is such a workload-dependent thing that there's no general answer.

XML stored in blobs (not sure whether text or bytea) and b-tree indexes.

A bit off-topic here, but why upgrade to 9.6 when you can upgrade to 10.0?

Had the same question, we are moving from 9.3 -> 10.0 near the start of summer (I hope).
10.0's pg_upgrade supports 8.4 . One reason to upgrade in smaller steps is maybe to grasp the new changes / features better?

Obviously you're not one to upgrade often so shouldn't you take advantage of all of the new features and improvements when "finally" (to use your own word) upgrading?

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org

--