Re: user privileges - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Charles Clavadetscher
Subject Re: user privileges
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello

On 2021-06-21 12:40, Atul Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My question can be silly but I need to ask that if a user is created
> without login privilege then what is the use of below command why
> don't postgres prompt error on it
>
> CREATE ROLE nolog_user WITH PASSWORD 'pass1';

A user without login privilege is usally called a group and is used for
bundling privileges that you can grant granting the role to individual
users. This helps you to keep more order and structure in your DB
privileges.

You may also have a user that can login and for whatever reason must be
restricted access for a certain time.

> as the user is created with login privileges then what is the use such
> user ?

See above.

> Where such users having no login privileges can be used ?

Yes, you use it as a group.

--
Charles Clavadetscher
Spitzackerstrasse 9