Re: Lessons from commit fest - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Dunstan
Subject Re: Lessons from commit fest
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>  I think pg_indent has to be made a lot more portable and easy to use
>  before that can happen :-) I've run it once or twice on linux machines,
>  and it comes out with huge changes compared to what Bruce gets on his
>  machine. Other times, it doesn't :-) So yeah, it could be that it just
>  needs to be made easier to use, because I may certainly have done
>  something wrong.

Yeah, I recall trying it a while ago and not having happy memories. It
should be possible (and indeed, mandatory) for patch submitters to run
it over their code before submitting it - having core guys whose time
is so valuable dealing with indentation etc seems an incredible waste.
It won't fix everything, as Tom points out, but it's a better starting
point.

Cheers

Tom