Re: Insert data if it is not existing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Insert data if it is not existing
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/23/2018 05:11 PM, tango ward wrote:
> Sorry, i forgot the values.
>
> curr.pgsql.execute('''
> INSERT INTO my_table(name, age)
> SELECT name, age
> WHERE NOT EXISTS(SELECT name FROM my_table WHERE name= name)
> ''', ('Scott', 23))

Pretty sure this would throw an exception as there are no parameter
markers in the query for the parameter values in the tuple to bind to.
So are you swallowing the exception in you code?

> Sorry, I don't understand, where should I place the from clause? I just
> saw a sample code like this in SO, so I gave it a shot

Not tested:
'''
INSERT INTO my_table(%(name)s, %(age)s)
WHERE NOT EXISTS(SELECT name FROM my_table WHERE name= %(name))
''', {'name': Scott', 'age': 23})

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com