email data type first release - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gaetano Mendola
Subject email data type first release
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I already post this message using pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org
with attached a binary file but I guess the newsgroup not
accept binary file.

The following was almost the message, now the file is on pg_foundry (
now it's working ).

Hi all, this is the alpha version for the new email data type,
is not written as built in type but as plug in, Tome Lane and others
drove me in this direction.

The type is indexable and provide also conversion methods:
text <--> email

It also defined the operator >>, is possible use it in select like:

select * from my_user where email >> 'hotmail.com';

this select will extract all records with an email inside
the domain 'hotmail.com'.

The validation routine is very simple, I focused my attention to made all
this working, right now test only the presence of character '@', it's an
alpha version after all), I'd like to put it on pgfoundry but apparently
my DNS are unable to resolve www.pgfoundry.org. I'll put this version as
soon the address become available.

This is the first time that I wrote code for postgresql so please, if
you can, do a sort of code revision on it.

Comments are welcomed.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola.