Re: can't get UPDATE ... RETURNING ... INTO ... to compile successfully - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dale
Subject Re: can't get UPDATE ... RETURNING ... INTO ... to compile successfully
Date
List pgsql-general
On Aug 18, 9:23 pm, Lew <no...@lewscanon.com> wrote:
> Dale wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I've got some code which postgres 8.3.3 won't accept.  Postgres
> > doesn't like the INTO clause on RETURNING INTO and I've tried
> > following the documentation.
>
> > UPDATE "EntityRelation" SET "Status" = inStatus, "Modified" =
> > Session_TimeStamp(), "ModifiedBy" = UserID() WHERE ("RelationID" =
> > inRelationID) AND ("EntityID" = inEnityID) AND IsEqual(inRelatedID,
> > "RelatedID") RETURNING "Default" INTO oldDefault;
>
> > Does anyone have any ideas if the INTO clause actually works at all
> > for an UPDATE statement?
>
> <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/sql-update.html>
> does not list an INTO clause for UPDATE, and when you think about it, indeed
> such a clause doesn't make sense.
>
> --
> Lew

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/plpgsql-statements.html

As per this documentation, you should be able to do it.  It works for
the INSERT command, but not UPDATE.  For the INSERT command, it makes
my code look neater and I image it's more efficient too.

Dale.