Re: warnings for invalid function casts - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: warnings for invalid function casts
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2020-06-30 21:38, Tom Lane wrote:
> In any case, I think the issue here is what is the escape hatch for saying
> that "I know this cast is okay, don't warn about it, thanks".  Treating
> "void (*) (void)" as special for that purpose is nothing more nor less
> than a kluge, so another compiler might do it differently.  Given the
> POSIX restriction, I think we could reasonably use "void *" instead.

I think gcc had to pick some escape hatch that is valid also outside of
POSIX, so they just had to pick something.  If we're disregarding
support for these Harvard architecture type things, then we might as
well use void * for easier notation.

Btw., one of the hunks in my patch was in PL/Python.  I have found an
equivalent change in the core Python code, which does make use of void
(*) (void): https://github.com/python/cpython/commit/62be74290aca