RE: BUG #14891: Old cancel request presented by pgbouncer honoredafter skipping a query. - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Skarsol
Subject RE: BUG #14891: Old cancel request presented by pgbouncer honoredafter skipping a query.
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Well, taking pgbouncer down to a 60 second connection lifetime was
insufficient to completely alleviate this. We had another transaction
get killed yesterday due to a different query being cancelled. I'm still
unsure how this isn't affecting other people.

At this point, we're going to change our application to just abandon the
current postgres connection when a user hits cancel instead of actually
sending the cancel request. Ugly hack, but I'm not sure what else to do
at this point. I'm still open to suggestions though. Or really, any
discussion about this issue at all. Would this belong better on a
different list?

-----

Bug reference:      14891
Logged by:          Skarsol
Email address:      postgresql(at)skarsol(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 9.6.3
Operating system:   Linux 4.4.8-hardened-r1 #4 SMP Mon Jun 12

This might be a symptom of the issue discussed in the ToDo "Changes to
make
cancellations more reliable and more secure" but as it is related to the
pgbouncer bug I've opened at
https://github.com/pgbouncer/pgbouncer/issues/245 I figured I'd post it
over
here just to make sure.

As the last step of this bug, pgbouncer 1.7.2 presents a cancel request
postgres 9.6.3. This request targets pid 29330 which is connected to
pgbouncer on port 33024. That pid then accepts a new query, returns a
result
set, accepts another new query, and then cancels that one out.

Expected behavior would have been for either no cancel (as that pid was
between queries at the time) or to cancel the first query. Cancelling
the
2nd query is just weird (to me).

I have no idea how much of this is related to whatever pgbouncer is
doing to
delay the cancel in the first place before presenting it to postgres.

I'm aware that we're 2 minor versions behind, but I don't see anything
that
seems relevant to this in the changelogs.

Image of the relevant wireshark display at
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/1915152/32578433-d5d4a71c-c4a2-11e7-9d25-f59d5afbb06b.jpg