Re: is it possible to create partitioned tables using tables fromdifferent schemas - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: is it possible to create partitioned tables using tables fromdifferent schemas
Date
Re: is it possible to create partitioned tables using tables fromdifferent schemas  (David Rowley <david.rowley@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 4/17/19 2:21 PM, pabloa98 wrote:
> I have a schema with a generated table with information coming from
> batch processes.
>
> I would like to store in that table manually generated information.
> Since those rows are inserted by hand, they will be lost when the table
> will be reimported.
>
> So I was thinking of creating a partitioned table with a column "origin"
> to select if the data is batch inserted or inserted by hand. Current
> generated by batch sub-table will live in its schema.
>
> I want the other sub-table containing manually inserted information
> living in another schema.
>
> Is this possible? Do I have to do something else (create some trigger,
> or something)?
>
> Something like:
>
> CREATE TABLE*automatic.*measurement (
>      city_id         int not null,
>      logdate         date not null,
>      peaktemp        int,
>      unitsales       int
>      origin          int
> ) PARTITION BY RANGE (origin);
>

> CREATE TABLE*automatic.*measurement_automatic PARTITION OF*automatic.*measurement
>      FOR VALUES FROM (1) TO (1)
>      PARTITION BY RANGE (origin);
>
> CREATE TABLE*manual.*measurement_manual PARTITION OF*automatic.*measurement
>      FOR VALUES FROM (2) TO (2)
>      PARTITION BY RANGE (origin);

It would seem so(with a caveat):

CREATE TABLE automatic.measurement (
     city_id         int not null,

     logdate         date not null,

     peaktemp        int,
     unitsales       int,
     origin          int
) PARTITION BY RANGE (origin);
CREATE TABLE

CREATE TABLE automatic.measurement_automatic PARTITION OF
automatic.measurement
test-#     FOR VALUES FROM (1) TO (1)
test-#     PARTITION BY RANGE (origin);
ERROR:  empty range bound specified for partition "measurement_automatic"
DETAIL:  Specified lower bound (1) is greater than or equal to upper
bound (1).

OOPS, so lets cheat:

<NOTE> Removed PARTITION BY RANGE (origin) as it is redundant and causes
problems later.

CREATE TABLE automatic.measurement_automatic PARTITION OF
automatic.measurement
     FOR VALUES FROM (1) TO (2)
CREATE TABLE

CREATE TABLE manual.measurement_manual PARTITION OF automatic.measurement
     FOR VALUES FROM (3) TO (4)
CREATE TABLE

The above assumes that manual origin will be in (1,2) and automatic in (3,4)

insert into automatic.measurement values(1, '04/16/19', 25, 100, 1);
INSERT 0 1

insert into automatic.measurement values(1, '04/16/19', 25, 100, 3);
INSERT 0 1

  select * from automatic.measurement_automatic ;
  city_id |  logdate   | peaktemp | unitsales | origin
---------+------------+----------+-----------+--------
        1 | 2019-04-16 |       25 |       100 |      1
(1 row)

select * from manual.measurement_manual;
  city_id |  logdate   | peaktemp | unitsales | origin
        1 | 2019-04-16 |       25 |       100 |      3
(1 row)

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com