pg_service.conf and client support - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Niels Jespersen
Subject pg_service.conf and client support
Date
Re: pg_service.conf and client support  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
Re: pg_service.conf and client support  (Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at>)
List pgsql-general

Hello all

I just found out about the pg service file. https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/libpq-pgservice.html

I don’t know why it took me so long finding this. I have been looking for ways to abstract physical details of data location away for clients (much like Oracle’s tnsnames).

Want to move a cluster to a new host. Sure, move it, edit pg_service.conf and clients will not know the difference.

It works great for at least psql and psycopg2.

But I cannot find anything on pg_service.conf and the Postgres ODBC driver and Npgsql for .Net

I know pg_service.conf support is implemented through libpq and support for rivers not using libpq is not a given thing.

But I think the need for the abstraction of connection details is a general one.

Can anyone shed som light on the ubiquitousness of support for pg_service.conf?

Are there any other mechanisms with broader support, that can be used instead of pg_service.conf (if support is scarce beyond what builds on libpq)?

Thank you.

Regards Niels Jespersen