Re: [DOCS] pg_restore man page (version 9.4) > -d/dbnameclarification request - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Charles
Subject Re: [DOCS] pg_restore man page (version 9.4) > -d/dbnameclarification request
Date
List pgsql-docs
On 15/06/17 20:48, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 6/15/17 00:00, Charles wrote:
>> Please consider changing "Connect to database dbname and restore
>> directly into the database" to "Connect to database dbname and restore
>> directly into the database named in the input file"
>
> But that's not what it does.

Thank you Peter

I am new to postgres so can easily be wrong.

The suggestion was based on how pg_restore behaved when used this way
(as user postgres on a Debian Jessie server):

$ dropdb redmine_default
$ pg_restore --create --dbname=postgres
redmine_default-2017-06-11@18\:21\:06.sql

The .sql file had been created on another server using:

pg_dump --format=custom --lock-wait-timeout=6000000 --username=postgres
--no-password redmine_default

After running the pg_restore command the redmine_default was populated.

Given that database redmine_default was not named on the pg_restore
command I concluded that its name must have been found in the .sql file.

Best, Charles