Re: Out of memory error on automatic vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ekaterina Amez
Subject Re: Out of memory error on automatic vacuum
Date
List pgsql-performance

El 18/11/19 a las 13:25, Tomas Vondra escribió:
On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 12:41:27PM +0100, Ekaterina Amez wrote:
Hi all,

This morning I was checking postgres servers logs, looking for errors (we've recently upgraded them and changed default config) and long running queries when I found one of the servers had really big logs since yesterday.  It was giving the error of this mail's subject: out of memory, failed on request of size XXX on automatic vacuum of table YYY. A quick search revealed me some postgresql-lists messages talking about work_mem and shared_buffers configuration options, some kernel config options too. Although all of them were messages from several years ago, I decided to cut my shared_buffers configured value and restart server: now it looks like error is gone. But I'd like to understand what's beyond the logged error (it's really long and refers to things about inner functionalities that I'm missing), how to detect what config options are possibly conflicting and, most important, I want to know if I've solved it right.

Unfortunately that's hard to say, without further data. The "out of
memory" errors simply mean we called malloc() and it returned NULL,
because the kernel was unable to provide the memory.
This (kernel unable to provide memory) was because no more RAM was available to allocate? It was because PG process did not have more memory assigned ready to use? Or is something unknown because it depends on the situations where the error is thrown?

There probably were other processes using all the available RAM (the
limit depends on various config values, e.g. overcommit). What were
these processes doing we don't know :-(

For example, there might be multiple complex queries, allocating
several work_mem each, using quite a bit of memory. Or there might be a
runaway query doing HashAgg allocating much more memory than predicted.
Or maybe there was running a completely separate job (say, backup)
allocating a lot of memory or dirtying data in page cache.

I've looked at cron and I've seen a scheduled process that finished a bit before the error began to log (o couple of minutes or so). Errors began on Sunday morning and this machine doesn't have much workload on work days, and less on weekend. I'll keep an eye on this log and if the problem appears again I'll try to track database activity and machine activity.

There are countless options what might have happened. The memory context
stats are nice, but it's just a snapshot from one particular process,
and it does not seem very interesting (the total is just ~1MB, so
nothing extreme). We still don't know what else was running.

When you talk about ~1MB are you getting this size from log lines like this?

<index>: 1024 total in 1 blocks; 476 free (0 chunks); 548 used

Lowering shared_buffers certainly does reduce the memory pressure in
general, i.e. there is 1GB of work for use by processes. It may be
sufficient, hard to guess.

I don't know if work_mem 64MB is too low, becuase it depends on what
queries you're running etc. But you probably don't wat to increase that,
as it allows processes to use more memory when executing queries, i.e.
it increases memory pressure and makes OOM more likely.

So you need to watch system monitoring, see how much memory is being
used (excluding page cache) and consider reducing work_mem and/or
max_connections if it's too close.

I'll do, thanks for your suggestions.

regards

Regards,