RE: Sequences part 2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karl Martin Skoldebrand
Subject RE: Sequences part 2
Date
List pgsql-general
> Yes, I'm fairly aware of this. However the application the database table belongs to seems to rely on a specific
orderin the database. I.e. if I just add value to the table they end up, possibly due to how the application is coded
inan undesireable spot on the web page.
> That is why I wanted them to be inserted with the previous records.

rename the table

install a view with the name of the table and appropriate triggers and/or rules between app and database enforcing
whateverquestionable assumptions the app thinks it needs -- if at all logically possible

--------------
Hmm, that could be a possible avenue.
The true horror of the database table is that it contains mixed data, so it could possibly be "easier" to just remodel
thedatabase table (split it into several) for this function. If things are in fact the way they look to us at the
moment.Either way it's not a quick fix for someone fairly inexperienced with PostgreSQL and having a couple of days to
holiday.

//Martin S

Disclaimer:  This message and the information contained herein is proprietary and confidential and subject to the Tech
Mahindrapolicy statement, you may review the policy at http://www.techmahindra.com/Disclaimer.html
<http://www.techmahindra.com/Disclaimer.html>externally http://tim.techmahindra.com/tim/disclaimer.html
<http://tim.techmahindra.com/tim/disclaimer.html>internally within TechMahindra.