Re: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Drouvot, Bertrand
Subject Re: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 10/26/23 10:40 AM, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 8:49 PM Drouvot, Bertrand
> <bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

> Good point, I think we should enhance the WalSndWait() logic to
> address this case.

Agree. I think it would need to take care of the new CV and probably
provide a way for the caller to detect it stopped waiting due to the socket
(I don't think it can find out currently).

> Additionally, I think we should ensure that
> WalSndWaitForWal() shouldn't wait twice once for wal_flush and a
> second time for wal to be replayed by physical standby. It should be
> okay to just wait for Wal to be replayed by physical standby when
> applicable, otherwise, just wait for Wal to flush as we are doing now.
> Does that make sense?

Yeah, I think so. What about moving WalSndWaitForStandbyConfirmation()
outside of WalSndWaitForWal() and call one or the other in logical_read_xlog_page()?

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team