Re: which database to login to to create global users? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From pres
Subject Re: which database to login to to create global users?
Date
List pgsql-novice
hello tom,

pres <pgn.lists@gmail.com> writes:
> so, if i understand you correctly, it does not matter which database i'm
> logged into when i create a role?

Correct.

> where (what database/table), then, are theses assignments stored?

The info related to roles is stored in some "shared" catalogs that are
visible in every database --- just the same way that pg_database is
visible in every database.  Try this to see which catalogs are shared:

        select relname from pg_class where relisshared and relkind = 'r';

See also the documentation on the system catalogs:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/catalogs.html
The description of each catalog takes care to mention it if the catalog
is shared across databases.

                        regards, tom lane

thank you for the clarification & reference.  exactly what i needed.

i must admit that i'd managed to get a completely different, and incorrect, understanding from the documentation ... i think i was carrying over the (my?) "old way" of doing things.

i think i'd best reread the roles section after reading your reference above.

thank you again.

pres