Re: meson documentation build open issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: meson documentation build open issues
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 2023-04-06 Th 05:11, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
On 05.04.23 16:45, Andres Freund wrote:
I think it's still an issue that "make docs" builds html and man but "ninja
docs" only builds html.  For some reason the wiki page actually claims that
ninja docs builds both, but this does not happen for me.

It used to, but Tom insisted that it should not. I'm afraid that it's not
quite possible to emulate make here. 'make docs' at the toplevel builds both
HTML and manpages. But 'make -C doc/src/sgml', only builds HTML.

Ok, not a topic for this thread then.

5. There doesn't appear to be an equivalent of "make world" and "make
install-world" that includes documentation builds.

This has been addressed with the additional meson auto options.  But it
seems that these options only control building, not installing, so there is
no "install-world" aspect yet.

I'm not following - install-world install docs if the docs feature is
available, and not if not?

I had expected that if meson setup enables the 'docs' feature, then meson compile will build the documentation, which happens, and meson install will install it, which does not happen.

"meson compile" doesn't seem to build the docs by default ( see <https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=crake&dt=2023-04-06%2018%3A17%3A04&stg=build>), and I'd rather it didn't, building the docs is a separate and optional step for the buildfarm.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan