Re: Unclear error message - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: Unclear error message
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 07, 2018 at 05:14:30PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > Here is a counter-proposal:
> > "cannot use ONLY for foreign key on partitioned table \"%s\" referencing
> > relation \"%s\""
> >
> > +-- also, adding a NOT VALID foreign key should fail
> > +ALTER TABLE fk_partitioned_fk ADD FOREIGN KEY (a, b) REFERENCES fk_notpartitioned_pk NOT VALID;
> > +ERROR:  cannot add NOT VALID foreign key to relation "fk_notpartitioned_pk"
> > +DETAIL:  This feature is not yet supported on partitioned tables.
> >
> > This error should mention "fk_partitioned_fk", and not
> > "fk_notpartitioned_pk", no?  The foreign key is added to the former, not
> > the latter.
>
> And after some more study, I finish with the attached.  Thoughts?

I'm fine with it.

"cannot use ONLY for foreign key on partitioned table" has a funny ring
to it (after all, ONLY was used for the table, not the foreign key), but
since I could not come up with anything better, I guess there is just
no entirely satisfactory way to phrase it tersely.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe