Re: How to grant a user read-only access to a database? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nilesh Govindarajan
Subject Re: How to grant a user read-only access to a database?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com> wrote:
On 2 March 2010 11:12, Antonio Goméz Soto <antonio.gomez.soto@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried this:
>
> names=# grant select on database names to spice;
> ERROR:  invalid privilege type SELECT for database
>
> The documentation seems to imply I need to grant SELECT
> to each table separately. That's a lot of work, and what if
> new tables are created?
>
> Thanks,
> Antonio
>
> --

The privileges you can grant on a database are only related to the
creation of tables and connecting to that database.

You could create a role which has SELECT-only access, apply that role
to all your tables, and assign users (other roles) as members of that
role.

Regards

Thom