Re: Does PostgreSQL use atomic file creation of FS? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: Does PostgreSQL use atomic file creation of FS?
Date
List pgsql-general
Dmitry Lazurkin wrote:
> Does PostgreSQL use atomic file creation on FS? How does PostgreSQL
> catch situation when system crashes between open call and write call? I
> am interesting in this because I would like use PostgreSQL on network
> file system.

If there is a crash, the file would be left behind.
This is slightly annoying, but shouldn't be a major problem.
Persisting such information in a crash-safe way would require
fsyncs that hurt I/O performance.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe