Re: what is difference between LOCAL and GLOBAL TEMP TABLES in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jaime Casanova
Subject Re: what is difference between LOCAL and GLOBAL TEMP TABLES in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 7/3/07, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Tom Lane escribió:
> > Jim Nasby <decibel@decibel.org> writes:
> > > I've often thought that having global temp tables would be a really
> > > good idea, since it would drastically reduce the need to vacuum
> > > catalog tables,
> >
> > I rather doubt that.  The most likely implementation would involve
> > cloning a "template" entry into pg_class.
>
> How about a new relkind which causes the table to be located in
> PGDATA/base/<dboid>/pg_temp_<backendid>/<relfilenode>
>
> So each backend can have its own copy of the table with the same
> relfilenode; there's no need for extra catalog entries.

we recently make the path for temp files to be just base/pgsql_tmp or
pg_tblspc/<tblspc_oid>/pgsql_tmp. do we want to complicate things
again?

while not just a new rekind indicating this is a template and not and
actual table. and using that template for creating the actual tables?

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova

to produce bigger and better idiots.
So far, the universe is winning."                                      Richard Cook