Re: Savepoint performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jaime Casanova
Subject Re: Savepoint performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 7/27/06, Mark Lewis <mark.lewis@mir3.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> I support a system that runs on several databases including PostgreSQL.
> I've noticed that the other DB's always put an implicit savepoint before
> each statement executed, and roll back to that savepoint if the
> statement fails for some reason.  PG does not, so unless you manually
> specify a savepoint you lose all previous work in the transaction.

you're talking about transactions not savepoints (savepoints is
something more like nested transactions), i guess...

postgres execute every single statement inside an implicit transaction
unless you put BEGIN/COMMIT between a block of statements... in that
case if an error occurs the entire block of statements must
ROLLBACK...

if other db's doesn't do that, is a bug in their implementation of the
SQL standard

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova