Re: fori stmt with by keyword was:(Re: [HACKERS] for statement, adding a STEP clause?) - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Jaime Casanova
Subject Re: fori stmt with by keyword was:(Re: [HACKERS] for statement, adding a STEP clause?)
Date
List pgsql-patches
On 4/30/06, Jaime Casanova <systemguards@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/29/06, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:

> > >This is not free: it'd require making STEP a reserved word (at least
> > >within plpgsql) which is contrary to spec.  I think you need to make
> > >a pretty good case why the value of the feature outweighs breaking
> > >applications that have perfectly-legally used "step" as an identifier.
> > >

> > This isn't available in PL/SQL, is it? That doesn't mean we shouldn't do it, of course, but it might lessen any
perceivedimperative.

> > Maybe using BY instad of STEP as the keyword would make it easier, since its occurrence in SQL makes it less likely
tobe used as a variable.

> > cheers
> >
> > andrew
> >

> Hi,
>
> i make a little patch using BY instead of STEP per Tom's complaint and
> Andrew's suggestion.

the patch is ready, at least it seems to me... also i have added some
lines to the docs...

let me know what your decision is about this...

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova

to produce bigger and better idiots.