Re: What causes lock? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jaime Casanova
Subject Re: What causes lock?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8/4/05, Frank Miles <fpm@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> Hi everyone...
>
>        I have a python-based application which provides a user interface
> to a Postgresql database.  The latest version of the application suddenly
> lost the inability to insert new data in some of the tables.  The SQL
> statement(s) used still work if manually typed in psql, but it appears as
> though there are some locks that are persisting and prevent inserts and
> updates when the application is still running.  Examining pg_locks shows a
> number of locks (almost all of mode 'AccessShareLock').  Other inserts
> and updates (to other tables) still work.  The database logs (default
> noise level setting) don't show any errors.

AccessShareLocks are safe, it's the type of lock a SELECT does.

The fact that you can execute the statements in psql show that the
problem is not about locking...

Are you sure there isn't a problem on your client side?

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova