Re: Can we get patents? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jaime Casanova
Subject Re: Can we get patents?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 5/9/05, Dann Corbit <DCorbit@connx.com> wrote:
> If the idea originates in PostgreSQL, then nobody else can patent it,
> because there will be pre-existing art (the PostgreSQL engine) that
> already demonstrated the idea.  A patent must have a novel idea in it.
>
> I do not think a good thing can come from creation of software patents.
>
> Here is a link of interest:
> http://swpat.ffii.org/index.en.html
>
> Of course, it is IMO-YMMV.

But you need to probe that there is pre-existing art, and that implies
a trial and costs involved.
Who will do the representation? who will pay the bills?

The same argument can be used (and in fact, was used) against the idea
of patent software. :(

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova