Re: Can we get patents? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dann Corbit
Subject Re: Can we get patents?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
If the idea originates in PostgreSQL, then nobody else can patent it,
because there will be pre-existing art (the PostgreSQL engine) that
already demonstrated the idea.  A patent must have a novel idea in it.

I do not think a good thing can come from creation of software patents.

Here is a link of interest:
http://swpat.ffii.org/index.en.html

Of course, it is IMO-YMMV.