Can we get patents? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Can we get patents?
Date
Re: Can we get patents?  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hackers,

I was reading LWN.net and noticed an article about Eben Moglen's keynote
at linux.conf.au.  Apparently he advises free software projects to get
patents on their best ideas.
Eben encouraged free software developers to record their novelinventions and to obtain patents on the best of them.
Freelegalhelp can be made available to obtain patents on the best ideas.Until the rules of the game can be changed, we
mustplay thegame, and having the right patents available may make all thedifference in defending against an attack.

http://lwn.net/Articles/133421/

Eben Moglen is the FSF's attorney.

I'm wondering, could the PostgreSQL Foundation (or some other entity)
get patents on some parts of Postgres?  Maybe ResourceOwners for
example; or the newer parts of the optimizer.

The patents would be freely licensed to everyone (including commercial
redistributors and developers/users of competing products), except to
patent litigators, or something like that.

"La espina, desde que nace, ya pincha" (Proverbio africano)